Walking Footballers Finally

Portugal Day 4 part 1

Day 4 began with a light breakfast and out for a ‘fast start’ with the 9.00am kick off.
Ayr we’re facing up to the ‘Winners’ of Group A and a difficult 20 minutes ensued.
Playing against a strong Oriam team from Edinburgh the Honest Men had a torrid time of it. Two goals down at half time proved too much of a hill to climb and the Ayr team eventually succumbed to a comprehensive 4-0 score line.
The draw for the next game saw yet another match against ‘Old Foes’ Hearts of Midlothian and as many past encounters have seen ‘lively affairs’ this one proved to be no different.

Walking Footballers Day 4 finally
Played with a ‘cup tie’ feel about it no quarter was asked for or given by either side. Several warnings for tackles by both sides were issued by the referee but in fairness to the ‘Tiny Wharton’ of Vilamoura he managed to keep full complements of players on the pitch! JUST!!!!
When all was said and done the Edinburgh team just edged a close run affair by a slender 1-0 final scoreline.
Ayr will take some positives from the game as they competed and acquitted themselves well. The afternoon session will see the Ayr side play two final matches in this year’s tournament.

Portugal – Day 4 Part 2

Following a light lunch the Honest Men faced up to local side Fuseta in the Semi-Final of the Wood Competition.
The Honest Men came out with a real purpose and went ahead with a well taken goal from striker Tom Dowman.
Shortly after, a good ball laid off by midfielder Scott Campbell saw central defender John Crawford take the ball past his marker to fire home the second goal with his left foot.
The Ayr team showed good game management to see the match out with a positive 2-0 scoreline.

Walking Footballers Day 4 finally
A much improved performance by the Ayr men saw them safely into the Wood Cup Final.

The Final saw the Ayr team matched up against Sheffield Wednesday and a completely dominant performance from the Honest Men saw chances galore. The Sheffield keeper was however in inspired form making save after save during the 20 minutes.
He did however carry a huge slice of luck when midfielder Scott Campbell fired in a well struck shot only to see the ball crash against the inside of the keeper’s right hand post to safety.
It has to be said Ayr had enough chances to win several games but as well as the Sheffield keeper played, a few good chances sadly also went a-begging.
The referee blew for full time and the 0-0 scoreline meant the dreaded spot kicks for Ayr once again.
Only one spot kick was to be scored out of the six taken three for each team and unfortunately that went to the English side.
Once again the penalty kick curse had struck the Honest Men and their wait goes on for a successful outcome at a penalty shoot out.